This is Part 12 in a 12-part e-course about the types of blog articles. But stay tuned — there will be a bonus session!
A Factoid is perhaps the easiest type of blog post to write.
A factoid is a one-line fact, definition, statistic, current event, or newsworthy tidbit.
You can write an entire factoid blog post (a series of related factoids), or you can insert a factoid as a pull quote within a blog article.
Factoids help simplify complex subjects. Let’s say you’re writing an article about the different types of cloning. You might use the following factoid:
Therapeutic Cloning – Also called “embryo cloning,” this type of cloning produces human embryos for use in research.
Factoids provide at-a-glance information. If you’re printing a recipe for your favorite cookie on your blog, your factoid might read:
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 1/2 hours
Makes: 2 dozen 2-inch cookies
If you’re profiling famous Olympic swimmers in the 100-meter backstroke, your factoid might list their Olympic and world record times.
For an issue-oriented article on the topic of jealous spouses, your factoid might feature the following quotation:
Love looks through a telescope; envy, through a microscope.
…Or it might feature three tips for killing the green-eyed monster.
- Review the list of article topics and/or notes for articles you’ve created during this e-course.
- What factoids can you pull out of each topic that will either enhance the readability of the article or will provide helpful, at-a-glance information?
- Using a highlighter pen, circle portions from your notes that you can turn into factoids.
- In the Comments area, share an interesting or unusual factoid.
Previously in this Series:
- How to Write a Calendar Article (E-Course Part 1)
- How To Write a How-To Article (E-Course Part 2)
- How to Write Case Studies (E-Course Part 3)
- How to Write a Review (E-Course Part 4)
- How to Write a Roundup Article (E-Course Part 5)
- How to Write a List Article (E-Course Part 6)
- How to Write a Link Article (E-Course Part 7)
- How to Write a Profile Article (E-Course Part 8
- How to Write a Q & A (E-Course Part 9)
- How to Write an Issues Article (E-Course Part 10)
- How to Write a Personal Essay (E-Course Part 11)