82 – 3 Must-Dos When Setting Up Your Email List
During the writers conference I taught at last week, three questions about email list building came up repeatedly:
- Can I bulk email my contacts through my regular email account?
- Since I’m required to display a valid postal address on every email, and I don’t want to display my home address, what are my options?
- Can I use my gmail address to send newsletters?
During today’s episode, I explain my answers in detail. Here’s the short version, along with links you can explore.
Can I bulk email my contacts through my regular email account?
NO! In order to legally send an enewsletter, you must create an account with an email marketing service. Here are some good ones:
- AWeber (affiliate link)
Since I’m required to display a valid postal address on every email, and I don’t want to display my home address, what are my options?
The rental fee depends on:
- Size of your PO box
- Your location
- Your payment period (usually, every 3 months or every 6 months)
- Their mailboxes display a real street address
- Some locations offer 24/7 access to your mailbox
- Call your local office for a quote
Virtual Mailbox – iPostal1.com
- Displays a real street address
- Get alerts when new mail arrives via an app or online
- Check for a location in your area
Can I use my gmail address to send my newsletters?
Email marketing services frown on gmail and other free email addresses. To work around this, use an email address associated with your domain (website address). For example:
Episode 26: 3 Tools to Protect the Privacy of Your Business
Episode 78: When Should I Start Marketing My Book?
Episode 79: 4 Strategies for Growing the Know-Like-Trust Factor
Episode 80: Jump-Start Your Email List (Group Coaching Program)
Episode 81: Becoming a Writerpreneur
Need guidance starting and growing your email list?
Learn about my Email Marketing Starter Package, which is customized to meet your specific needs.
The Blogging Bistro team will help you get started with Mailerlite, Flodesk, MailChimp, ConvertKit, or AWeber (choose one), reliable email marketing services that equip you to you legally send e-newsletters, free downloadable resources, and blog posts to your subscribers.
Check out our additional email list-building services.
Free Email Marketing Training
I have a free gift for you: Email Marketing for Writers: 7 Days to Launch Your List.
This 7-day video training will help you understand the basics of email marketing.
- If you’re starting from zero, this training will help you avoid common mistakes and help you launch your list the right way.
- If you already have an email list but you’re not sure what to do with it or growth is stagnant, this training will get you back on track and give you fresh ideas for rejuvenating your list.
I consider this FREE course a prerequisite for the group coaching program, because, in 7 days, you’ll learn:
- How to do email marketing legally and ethically.
- Why every entrepreneur needs an email list (and why email is waaay more powerful than social media).
- How the right subscribers can translate into sales.
- How to set doable email marketing goals (not unrealistic, pie-in-the-sky goals you can never achieve).
- Top tops for getting your emails opened… and read (top tips for length, format, and frequency).
- 8 qualities of an irresistible free offer (that will skyrocket your signups).
- 20 places to put your opt-in form (for maximum visibility and explosive list growth).
The course will help you develop a solid foundation for your email marketing.