2 – How to Act Like a Professional Writer (Even When You Don’t Feel Like One)

Posted February 25, 2020 | Laura Christianson
The Professional Writer
The Professional Writer
2 - How to Act Like a Professional Writer (Even When You Don’t Feel Like One)
/

 

I received an email from a writer who’s been blogging for 10 years. She wrote, “But I am still a novice! I’ve never taken it seriously. It’s just fun and a hobby.”

She followed up with, “I would like for that to change since I would like to be taken seriously as writer.”

In order to be taken seriously, writers need to take three important steps:

  1. We need to cultivate a life of writing – to seriously (not haphazardly) pursue whatever form of writing we want to do.
  2. We need to think like an entrepreneur who’s starting a business.
  3. And we need to apply what we’re learning.

As we start acting like a professional, we’ll discover that we will begin morphing into a professional.

What does it mean to be a professional writer?

Here are five traits that we’ll explore in today’s episode:

Trait #1: Identify what you want to be known for.

Action Step: If you could choose any type of writing-related business to become the world’s top expert in, what would it be? Write one sentence that states what you want to be known for.

Trait #2: Practice.

You need a 10% edge. You need to know only 10% more than the people you serve. You’ll pick up the other 90% as you go along.

Action Step: Intentionally make decisions throughout the day that align with what you want to become known for.

Trait #3: Fight against imposter syndrome.

Think about the skills and experience you’ve acquired during your life that contributed to that 10% edge you have.  Chances are, knowledge and skills you possess that that you assume are easy or unimportant may be exactly what your readers most need from you!

Trait #4: Generously serve your readers.

You’ve been practicing a particular skill. You’ve seen the results of your practice. Now help your readers achieve results, too.

Trait #5: Be ethical.

Work and behave in such a way that others view you as consistent, competent, reliable, confident, and worthy of respect.

  • Meet deadlines.
  • Routinely over-deliver.
  • Own your mistakes.
  • Tell the truth.
  • Respect those with whom you interact.
  • Be consistent. Whether you’re around clients, co-workers, family, friends, or by yourself, you act the same way.

Action Step: Choose one trait of being an ethical professional that you most need to work on. Commit to start working on it, today.

The Professional Writer Podcast Community – private Facebook group

Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell (aff link)

How to Keep Up With The Show

Ask questions, meet our guests, and share breakthroughs in The Professional Writer Podcast Community on Facebook. Click here to join the group.

Click here to join my my email list and I’ll notify you about every episode.  (When you subscribe, you’ll also get my free guide, Essential Resources for Running a Writing Business.)

Subscribe to the show on your favorite podcast listening app:

Apple PodcastsSpotify | Stitcher Google Podcasts
TuneIn Podchaser | Overcast Podcast Addict | Pocket Casts

If you know a writer who would be interested in The Professional Writer Podcast, please share this link with them:

https://bloggingbistro.com/podcast 

Thank you!

Laura

Read the Transcript

How to act like a professional writer (even when you don't feel like one)