JC Penney came up with an ingenious use for QR codes — those square, 2-dimensional bar codes you scan with a smartphone.
Called a “Santa Tag,” these QR codes allow you to record a personalized voice message to the person you’ve giving a Christmas gift to. The gift’s recipient can listen to your message as many times as they want.
Here’s how it works:
- When you purchase a gift for someone (at JC Penney, of course), and pick up a jcp gift box, the box will include a special Santa Tag. Peel off the front tab to reveal the QR code.
- Scan the code with your smartphone, using any free QR reader (I use QR Droid).
- A browser will open and direct you to the Santa Tag website.
- Record a personal message by doing the following:
- Enter a phone number to promptly receive a call from jcp on your phone.
- You’ll be prompted to leave a short message for the recipient.
- Confirm your message by approving or re-recording your message.
- Stick the label with the QR code on it to your wrapped gift.
- The recipient, in turn, scans the QR code with their smartphone and listens to your message.
**If you don’t have a smartphone, you can still record a message by calling 1-888-881-6577. Follow the audio prompts to leave a short message for the person you’re giving the gift to.
Here’s a video example:
The program begins Tuesday, November 15, 2011 and continues while supplies last. No minimum purchase is required.
What do you think?
- Will you take advantage of this service?
For additional details, check out the FAQ at http://www.jcpsanta.com/faq